top of page

What to do when someone dies

Dying at home - When someone dies at home you should call their Doctor (G.P) who will issue a Medical Certificate for the cause of death. If this is a Locum or other Medical Practitioner they will issue a Statement of Death. Please contact us so that we can bring your loved one into our care 

once the doctor has attended. If you would like your loved one to remain at home for a little while please advise us as soon as possible, 

and we will give you guidance on this.

Death in professional care - The hospital bereavement or family liaison officers will offer you emotional support and practical advice about what to do next. They will inform you where the nearest Registry Office is, so that you can register the death. Once you have called us, we will liaise 

with the Hospital, Hospice or Care Home to make the necessary arrangements for you. You should register the death within 5 days, but may 

contact us or come to see us beforehand if you would like to discuss the funeral arrangements. When you register, you will normally 

receive a green certificate which will enable us to take your loved one into our care.

Sudden or unexpected death - When someone has died unexpectedly or the doctor is not certain of the cause of death, the case will often be referred to the Coroner’s Office. The Coroner will make arrangements for a funeral director to collect your loved one.  You are under no obligation to use this funeral director and can use a funeral director of your choice.  It is still a good idea to contact us at an early stage as we will be able to liaise with the Coroner’s Office for you and start to discuss arrangements for the funeral.

bottom of page